Thursday 28 January 2010

Fixed lenses and creativity.

I learnt photography from my Dad.  'Back in the day' that was fixed lenses, usually a 50mm.  The advantage of a fixed lens is they normally let more light in, meaning you can shoot in less light, and blur backgrounds away.  The disadvantage is that you often can't fit everything you want in the photo, or you can't get close enough to your subject.  The result of that is that you either have to move your feet and find somewhere else to shoot from, or be creative with your framing.

I've seen some pros tell aspiring photographers that they should get a fixed lens as it would 'make them more creative' - that's not true, you can't force creativity. It's either there or it's not.  I would much rather pros advised aspiring photographers to watch light, the way it falls, how it effects images and to just work with the kit they have.  I fear the ability to use light is not as common as it once was, but that is another blog for another day.

In the meantime I thought I'd share a couple of photos which, as my 94 year old Grandma says, "aren't straight"...



No comments:

Post a Comment